Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Honesty 101: Tell It Like It Is

I'm having a hard time understanding why this is such a hard principle to teach my children. Don't they want people to believe them? Do they really think we're that stupid? I've explained time and time again that, "If you're doing something wrong ... you're already in trouble, mister (or sister for that matter). Now, if you top that off with a big fat whopper of a lie, what exactly do you think is going to happen?" But somehow, they still end up going through these phases where they must truly think we are complete idiots.

Just tell it like it is. If you wet your pants in the middle of the night or broke Mom's favorite vase, just tell it like it is. If you lost your hat, forgot your homework or left work to run an errand with an 18 year old boy that we've told you not to associate with ... just TELL IT LIKE IT IS. Why make it so much worse by trying to pull the wool over our eyes? I promise I will always know if you brushed your teeth, washed your hands or went to a party you shouldn't have.

And now the task of coming up with our latest and greatest, logical but painful punishment? Where do I even start on this one? How do you handle honestly issues in your house? I'd love to get your advice., feel free to leave me your 2 cents ... or 20 bucks, your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment