Thursday, December 31, 2009

Feeling Resolute

I confess, I'm the worst at keeping resolutions. In fact, I really suck at making and keeping goals or having any real kind of plan. Maybe it's because there so many areas of my life where consistency and maintenance are necessary, that when it comes down to losing a few pounds or putting money away for a rainy day ... I just can't do it. I make decisions based on emotion and end up all over the place.

So when my dear hubby asked what my New Year's resolutions were going to be this year, I had to laugh. I had already determined, in order to avoid utter failure ... again, that my only goals would be to do more of the things that I should and less of the things that I shouldn't. I was all set! Success would be mine at last. But nooooooo .... I was put in my place at church last Sunday and left feeling like a complete loser because I was more than happy to set the bar that low.

So, what was I supposed to do now? I know, I know, resolutions are good. Goals help us to have direction and purpose. How could I make a resolution general enough that I would succeed, but focused enough to require real, targeted effort? After squeezing into my jeans yesterday morning and grumbling again about the never-ending battle of the bulge (which I've determined I'm officially losing) I figured it out.

My generally specific New Year's resolution for 2010 ....
TO STRENGTHEN MY CORE.Initially, I was daydreaming about being able to slide into a sleek pair of skinny jeans every morning ... but then decided that in all aspects of my life, I'd really like to strengthen what lies at the center of me.

Religion - study more about the things I believe
Family - make us a stronger, happier unit
Home - clear out the clutter and get back to basics
The 'bod' - lose the gut, flab, jiggly thighs and arms (ick)
Finances - pay off my only existing credit card and build up my savings account
Business - revamp my Etsy business and really get it off the ground

Are you getting the picture? I'm hoping that for 2010, as I make daily decisions about what things will take up my time, what things I will purchase, what things I put my energy into, what things I put into my body ... I will remember what is really important to me and make the choice that will strengthen my core. I want to be more free, more focused, more grateful. I want to be stronger and more healthy. I want to be more secure in who I am and what I'm doing.

What will your resolutions be?

No comments:

Post a Comment